Logo Logo Logo
  • Home
  • Facility Rentals
  • About
    • The Watercraft Center
    • NC Maritime Museums
      • Beaufort
      • Hatteras
      • Southport
    • Friends of the Museum
    • Beaufort, NC
    • Local Lodging
    • Custom boat raffle
  • Courses Offered
  • Model Society
    • About
    • Model Shop
    • Join the Carolina Maritime Model Society
  • Volunteer
  • Wooden Boat Show
  • Directions
  • Contact Us
Logo Logo Logo Logo Logo
  • Home
  • Facility Rentals
  • About
    • The Watercraft Center
    • NC Maritime Museums
      • Beaufort
      • Hatteras
      • Southport
    • Friends of the Museum
    • Beaufort, NC
    • Local Lodging
    • Custom boat raffle
  • Courses Offered
  • Model Society
    • About
    • Model Shop
    • Join the Carolina Maritime Model Society
  • Volunteer
  • Wooden Boat Show
  • Directions
  • Contact Us

15 Feb 20181110_150513_resized_1

Posted at 16:59h in by NCMM Staff
0 Likes



Facebook Feed
North Carolina Maritime Museum in Beaufort

6 hours ago

North Carolina Maritime Museum in Beaufort
Just prior to the breakout of the American Revolutionary War, Britain enacted the very unpopular "Stamp Act." North Carolina Governor William Tryon worked hard to convince North Carolinians to accept the tax, but when the ship HMS “Diligence” arrived on November 28, 1765, bringing the tax stamps, the colonists refused to let them be brought ashore. To learn more about the Stamp Act in North Carolina, visit the NC Maritime Museum in Beaufort’s Youtube page to view the presentation “The Stamp Act Crisis in North Carolina” presented by David Bennett, Curator of Maritime History. Image: Stamp Act protest in port city, 1765. (Image courtesy NC Archives). Image: The image shows two tax stamps from the Stamp Act of 1765, which was a British law that required American colonists to pay a tax on all paper goods. (Image courtesy NC Archives). ... See MoreSee Less
View on Facebook
· Share

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linked In Share by Email

North Carolina Maritime Museum in Beaufort

1 day ago

North Carolina Maritime Museum in Beaufort
In honor of what is known by many as “Black Friday” we present the tautog, also known as the “Black Fish.” Tautog are called blackfish because their skin color darkens with age, ranging from gray to deep black, which helps them camouflage in their rocky habitats Tautog are a stout fish with a blunt nose. They have one long dorsal fin which has sharp spines. Tautog have large conical teeth in the front of their mouths and flat crushing teeth in back. They range from dark green to black on their dorsal side with mottling down to a lighter belly and a white chin. Image: Plate 85. The Tautog. (Image courtesy NOAA). ... See MoreSee Less
View on Facebook
· Share

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linked In Share by Email

North Carolina Maritime Museum in Beaufort

2 days ago

North Carolina Maritime Museum in Beaufort
Happy Thanksgiving! Did you know that Beaufort has its own connection to pilgrims associated with the original Thanksgiving? Nathan Fouller/Fuller (1750-1800) is buried in the old burying ground of Beaufort, North Carolina. Nathan is believed to be a direct descendant of one of the original passengers on the famous “Mayflower” voyage in 1620, Edward Fuller Edward Fuller was a passenger on the historic 1620 voyage. Both Edward and his wife would pass away shortly after establishing Plimoth Plantation, leaving behind a young son. Image: “Mayflower II” a replica of the original "Mayflower" ship ... See MoreSee Less
View on Facebook
· Share

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linked In Share by Email

North Carolina Maritime Museum in Beaufort

5 days ago

North Carolina Maritime Museum in Beaufort
On November 24, 1862, Lieutenant William B. Cushing decided to set fire to his vessel USS “Ellis” instead of surrendering to Confederate forces that were firing on him and his crew. In November of 1862 the ship USS “Ellis” was moved up the New River on a mission to capture the city of Jacksonville. After claiming two schooners, and successfully raising the Union flag over the courthouse, Lt. Cushing and his crew headed towards New River Inlet. Shortly after, the USS “Ellis” ran aground and stranded on a sand bar. Cushing, on board USS “Ellis,” would spend the next two days stranded and fighting Confederate forces. Ultimately Cushing his crew would escape by rowing to one of the smaller stolen schooners and successfully escape over the bar. Before abandoning USS “Ellis” Cushing would have the ship lit on fire, resulting in a great explosion as the fire reached the magazine. Image: Lieutenant William B. Cushing of the Union Navy in uniform. (Image courtesy Library of Congress). ... See MoreSee Less
View on Facebook
· Share

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linked In Share by Email

North Carolina Maritime Museum in Beaufort

1 week ago

North Carolina Maritime Museum in Beaufort
“Elizabeth II,” a replica of a16th-century English merchant ship from the 1585 Roanoke Voyage, was launched on November 22, 1983. Construction of “Elizabeth II” began during July 1982 at the Creef-Davis Boat Shop in Manteo and continued on in-water until 1984. Today, visitors can explore the ship at its home in Roanoke Island Festival Park in downtown Manteo. Image: “Elizabeth II” first being put into the water, 1983. (Image courtesy NC Department of Natural & Cultural Resources). ... See MoreSee Less
View on Facebook
· Share

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linked In Share by Email

THE HARVEY W. SMITH WATERCRAFT CENTER

322 Front St.

Beaufort, NC 28516

Hours:

Monday-Saturday • 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sunday • Noon - 5 p.m.

Sponsored By

Beaufort-Horizontal-PNG

Copyright © North Carolina Maritime Museum
Project Management by Z Digital Studio